Fire on the hillside

Around midday today many Tamworth residents reported smoke billowing from the uphill-side of Armidale Rd a few kilometres north of the Quality Hotel Powerhouse.

RFS crews were undergoing manual hazard mitigation work – not burning off – when the fire started.

Fire and Rescue NSW superintendent Tom Cooper said the fire was possibly started by sparks from a brushcutter and it burned its way up the hill away from houses.

It was quickly brought under control by South Tamworth Fire and Rescue and RFS crews.

NSW Rural Fire Service Area Commander Heath Stimpson said it’s a concern when any fire starts and it’s a timely reminder that the use of brushcutters and chainsaws, and the like, certainly can contribute to fires in the wrong circumstances.